Egg Fried Rice is simple, easy and can be made relatively quickly. Its one of those affordable dishes that is delicious in its simplicity. The best part is that it goes great with almost everything.
You got 10 minutes to spare? Then you have time to make egg fried rice. The ingredients are simple:
Eggs – for protein, and who doesn’t love eggs?
Salt, soy sauce and butter (optional but butter adds an extra umami to it)
Ginger, garlic, green onion and shallots (shallots are optional)
As is, egg fried rice goes great with any dish, but if you want to turn it into a perfect main meal, you can additionally add any vegetables you like: corn, peas, green pepper, carrots. Creativity is endless, experiment away!
Egg Fried Rice
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 5 eggs
- 1 knob ginger chopped
- 2 stalks green onion separate the white from the green portion
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 red shallot sliced
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Break apart the cooked rice and fluff it using a fork. If you're using freshly cooked rice, set it aside to cool down before fluffing it.
- Break 5 eggs into a bowl. Add 1/8 tsp of salt and beat well.
- Heat a wok over medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the eggs and scramble it. Using your spatula or a chopstick, keep stirring the eggs in the middle area until almost cooked. Don't overcook the eggs, it should be a bit runny. Remove from the wok and set aside.
- Heat wok over high heat, and add 2 tablespoon of oil. Once hot, add the chopped ginger, and stir it for a bit until fragrant, then add the crushed garlic. Let the color deepen a bit and then add in the white portion of the green onion and the sliced shallot. Stir-fry everything together.
- Add 2 tablespoon of butter, 3/4 teaspoon of soy sauce and a pinch of salt. Stir-fry until the butter is melted, and all the seasonings are mixed. Less than a minute.
- Add the rice and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Stir the rice in scooping motion until the color is uniform, and use your spatula to flatten out and break apart any rice that are in clumps. Once the rice looks uniformly flavored, add the semi-cooked egg over the rice and stir-fry for a minute or two, until all the rice grains are coated in egg and most of the eggs are broken down into smaller bits.
- Add the green portion of the green onion and stir. Taste test and use salt and pepper to flavour to your liking. Enjoy!